Tuesday 20 October 2009


These lovely wooden boats were made by the kids when they were at the village pre- school. I just love them especially as they were used in the bath and have weathered a little.


A friend's father used to volunteer at the pre-school and all children during those years made wooden boats with him. Sadly he is quite elderly and not well these days but in those days he was such fun.


It was particularly good for my two as they had no grandfather figure - my father dead & father in law too far away.


Beau as his own grand children called him, was also Father Christmas every year at the pre school Christmas bazaar ... my two never guessed nor the others for that matter.


My friend laughs that her dad was the " Pike " of the home guard - too young to join up. He was thirty six when he married his sweetheart - she just 19 and had been asked to wait by her parents. I see Bill out in the village sometimes and remember what a joy he brought to all those children... probably wouldn't be allowed these days..." Health & Safety " / CRB checks etc etc etc.


Do you have anything special you or your children made ?

7 comments:

  1. What wonderful boats, they dont make anything as sturdy nowadays, it is all cardboard etc. But I have the pen pot I made in CDT and a box that MadDad made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those boats are lovely! I have a wooden hedgehog I made in the juniors, as you say though these days I doubt they'd make the same as he's just nailed on a base and you can pull him off to reveal the sharp end of the nail!
    I love 'making' stuff with Seth but it's only recenly he's sat down to draw for any length of time. I could watch him all day, he looks so peaceful and sticks his tongue out as he concentrates just the same as his dad does :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh it's so funny when they pick up their dad's habits !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Penny I was sorry to hear you haven't been well, I hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those little boats were breathtaking to look at, all the better for the way they are worn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous wooden boats! Hope you feel better soon penny! suzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these boats...lovely! I have many special things my children have made over the years (ornaments, artwork, ceramics) I would really love to frame some of my favorite artpieces and put them in my studio area...they grow up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete